Creating Designation Lists
Articles > Designations
May 5, 2023 at 4:36:02 PM
To create your Designation List, click on Create/Edit Designations screen layout from the Workflow Ribbon. Under the Designations section of the Media Bar, click the + sign and select "New Designation List"
You will get a dialogue box to change the ID and Name if you want.
Select a Transcript from either the Media Bar or from the drop-down menu on the Transcript Pane toolbar.
Once you have created the Designation List, you can add the page/line designations. There is no limit to the number of designations you can have in a List, and you can designate from different Transcripts within the same Designation List if desired.
Then click and drag to select the transcript text you want to play. You can then either click the "Add Selection" button in the toolbar, right-click the selected text and select “Add Selection," or use the Ctrl + S hotkey.
The Designation List in the Designations tab will expand, and you'll see your new designation appear below the ID.
The highlighter color will be the last used color but can also be changed prior to adding the designation by selecting a color from the Highlighter dropdown menu.
You can also create a new designation list from a selection of existing designations.
First, select the designation lists or individual designations you want to compile into the new list.
Right-click and select Create New Designation List from Selection.
Create ID and new name. It appends one list after the other. For more information about this, check out our article Copying Designations & Merging Lists.
Manually is the quick way to add one or two designations as you are going through a transcript but if someone gives you a list or maybe wants to make changes to an existing list, the Designation Wizard is what you want. You can find an in-depth explanation in the Designation Wizard article.
If someone gives you hundreds or thousands of page/lines, you might want to import them. Designation List Imports can be created outside of OnCue in a text file. You can find information about these files in Importing Designation Lists.
Designation List FAQs
You can have different transcripts in one designation list–it is okay to put different dates or even different deponents in one list.
Designation lists, when created, default to play through to the end of a list unless you change the auto advance arrows.
(1) Publish – Start playing the list in presentation – will continue to intended stop
(2) Copy – Copy your entire list – into Notebook, Media Script, even another list
(3) Edit Name and ID – As described – change the name and ID
(4) Delete – Careful – no undo
(5) Reports – 3 options – See Deposition Designation Reports
(6) Import – All options for imports available – not tied to designations
(7) Export – See Exporting Designation Lists
(8) Add – List or designations to a list
(9) Add to Notebook – Add to existing (list provided) or create new
(10) Assign Highlighter – As described – change highlighter for full list
(11) Automatic Advance – Change the way your designation list plays – auto or launch each clip one at time
(12) Hide Scrolling Text – As described – Presentation Mode
(13) Merge Page-to-Page – As described – 23:1-25 and 24:1-17 becomes 23:1-24:17
(14) Create New Designation List from Selection – Creates new list from existing list
(15) Split Designation List – Breaks up your list – See Split Designation List
(16) Edit in Designation Wizard – Opens your list in the Wizard
(17) Renumber IDs – Move designations, sort or delete – Keep your IDs consecutive using this
(18) Sort – Many options – See Sorting Designations Lists
(1) Publish – Start playing in presentation from selected designation – will continue to intended stop
(2) Copy – Copy selected designation – into Notebook, Media Script, even another list
(3) Delete – Careful – no undo
(4) Import – All options for imports available – not tied to designations
(5) Export – See Exporting Designation Lists
(6) Insert Designations Before – Insert before existing designation by typing
(7) Insert Designations After – Insert after existing designation by typing
(8) Add to Notebook – Selected designations copied to notebook or create a new notebook
(9) Assign Highlighter – As described – change selected designations
(10) Automatic Advance – Change the way your designation plays – turning off (left) – stop after that designation
(11) Hide Scrolling Text – As described – Presentation Mode
(12) Merge Page-to-Page – As described – 23:1-25 and 24:1-17 becomes 23:1-24:17
(13) Create New Designation List from Selection – Creates new list from existing list
(14) Renumber IDs – Renumber Linked documents under designation
(15) Sort – Many options – See Sorting Designations Lists
(1) Publish – Launches linked page or annotation (not designation)
(2) Show in Windows File Explorer – Exactly as described – opens folder where your page or annotation is– OnCue creates xml file with instructions
(3) Copy – Copy your linked page or annotation – into a Notebook or Media Script
(4) Delete – Deletes from list – not database – no undo.
(5) Import – All options for imports available – not tied to designations or linked documents
(6) Export – Exhibit List